In addition to the tower and dwelling, the station was also equipped with a privy, barn, hen house, and a well house built over a nearby creek that facilitated pumping water to the dwelling. It’s one of several lighthouses that guide mariners on Lake Superior … Eagle Harbor Light, Eagle Harbor, September 2004 Flickr Creative ... and Grand Marais, Michigan. Waugoshance Light constructed, replacing lightship stationed at site. Hotels near Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums: (0.04 mi) 15 miles from Copper Harbor-cabin next to Eagle Harbor Lighthouse-Cable & WIFI (0.27 mi) Eagle Harbor Inn Add New Announcement. The customs collector for Newport, William Ellery, became Rhode Island’s first lighthouse superintendent. The Alcatraz Lighthouse was first constructed in 1853, and rebuilt in 1909 after it was damaged in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. The stone dwelling was ill-suited for the freeze-and-thaw cycles of such a northern clime, and in 1868, the Lighthouse Board requested $14,000 for a new lighthouse after providing the following details on the current structure: Congress appropriated $14,000 for repairs and renovation of Eagle Harbor light-station on July 15, 1870, and over the next year, a one-and-a-half-story, seven-room dwelling was constructed with a tower rising from its northeast corner. Bird was born in Romulus, Michigan in 1841 and marched off to fight in the Civil War in 1862. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, Eagle Harbor (Lake Superior) ... the first keeper at this site who took over for her husband after he died during its construction. Nearly everyone in the small town of Eagle Harbor can see that Tressa needs help, but she doesn’t expect help to come from the keeper of the local lighthouse… nor does she expect the gentle feelings of love that swirl in her stomach whenever the lightkeeper walks through the door of her fledgling bakery. Find the closest hotels to Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, Select a photograph to view a photo gallery. "I enlisted in the Coast Guard on Nov. 3, 1975, and was transferred to Lightstation Eagle Harbor in Jan.1976 where I spent three years. View Map. Lighthouse is on Lake Superior on the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan. Cocking enlisted in the twenty-third Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment in August 1862, but after the Civil War, he returned to Keweenaw Peninsula and served eight years at Gull Rock Lighthouse before being transferred to Eagle Harbor. The Coast Guard replaced the fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1962 with a pair of DCB-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red and white flashes. 4. turn in Eagle Harbor take the road on your left to the lighthouse on the point. Administration of lighthouses on the local level went to the collectors of customs. Georgia Stebbins keeper of the North Point Lighthouse in Milwaukee from 1881-1907. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums, Eagle Harbor: See 118 reviews, articles, and 107 photos of Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums, ranked No.2 on Tripadvisor among 8 attractions in Eagle Harbor. Postcard Find Helps Bring Eagle Harbor Keepers Life to Light, Jeremy DEntremont. Our Operational Office is in Manassas, VA and our Corporate Headquarters is located in Anchorage, AK. The Keweenaw County Historical Society operates a fascinating nautical and historical museum in the lighthouse and surrounding buildings. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse was de-staffed on January 8, 1982, when Jerry McKinney, who had been serving there for less than a year, was transferred. An air diaphone was installed in the fog signal building in 1928, and the following year a radiobeacon was established at the station as an additional aid to mariners navigating in thick weather. This change left Two Harbors Lighthouse in Minnesota as the only staffed lighthouse on Lake Superior. Eagle Island Light: ... light in 1891. See more ideas about Island lighthouse, Lighthouse keeper, Plum island. Stridfelt replaced Edward Byttyla as head keeper of the light in 1962. The keepers dwelling measured thirty-six by thirty-four feet and featured five rooms. The rear light, which had a focal plane of twenty-nine feet above the harbor and was situated 1,000 feet south of the front light, was exhibited from a rectangular tower mounted atop the lake-facing gable of a six-room, one-and-a-half-story keepers dwelling. The first keeper was named Hedgecock, who was in charge from 1765 until 1780. The first keeper was Watson Y. Hopkins, a Maine native. Hotels near Eagle Harbor Lighthouse: (0.02 mi) 15 miles from Copper Harbor-cabin next to Eagle Harbor Lighthouse-Cable & WIFI (0.02 mi) LAKE BREEZE (EAGLE HARBOR): Walk to Lake Superior- … William Martin was keeper from the 1780s until his death in 1803. Head: John Griswold (1850 1859), John Alexander (1859), George R. Griswold (1859 1860), James Bouden (1860 1861), R.C. Posted/Updated by Bryan Penberthy on 2007-12-02. Stephen Cocking, who was appointed keeper at Eagle Harbor in 1877, was born in England in 1836 and came to American when he was eleven. Eagle Harbor Range Lights were reestablished in 1939, with a white, octagonal tower displaying the front light and the rear tower being shown from a post. Transfers within a lighthouse district were common, but it was rare for a keeper to move between districts as Thomas did. Just before the road runs The original lighthouse, built in 1851, was replaced in 1871. It consists of 119 (2-3 bedroom and 1-2 story) units, located in Carrollton, Virginia; a short distance from numerous Hampton Road's activities. With the increased shipping traffic on Green Bay, the Lighthouse Board requested $12,000 for the establishment of a lighthouse at Eagle Bluff. Entrance to Eagle Harbor lightkeeper's home, connected to lighthouse, was built in 1871 according to plaque over doorway. The society maintains four museums at the light station: a keepers museum in the lighthouse, a maritime museum in the fog signal building, a fishing museum in the white keepers dwelling, and a Keweenaw history museum in the stations garage. After serving under 21 keepers during its first 129 years, the lighthouse became automated in 1980. Page 45. What makes this an interesting and potentially valuable cover is the fact that Mr. Bird was the first Keeper at the present light at Eagle Harbor. The red brick Eagle Harbor Light Station sits on the rocky entrance to the harbor and is a working lighthouse as it guides mariners across the northern edge of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Peter and Mary Bird witnessed the construction of the new lighthouse and had their first three children at Eagle Harbor, before Peter returned to Romulus and took up farming. Reflecting Light – Eagle Harbor Lighthouse (Eagle Harbor, MI), photo by Aaron C. Jors. … It was commissioned by the US Government to guide ships along Lake Superior's Keweenaw coast. History of the Eagle Bluff Lighthouse. Built in 1855 completely of red stone, it housed the light keeper and his family. The cancel shows the date August 1871. The light was decommissioned in 1909 and the property sold into private ownership. Bass Harbor Head Light Located at the southwestern point of Mt. Eagle River Lighthouse Photo courtesy of HomeAway This 1850s lighthouse on Lake Superior is available as a vacation rental for those who want to try out the light keeper's life for a … District: 9. 1883-1918: William Dulcon, the second keeper, and his wife Julia raised their seven sons in the lighthouse. His annual salary was $1,100. State: MICHIGAN Location: WEST END OF HARBOR/LAKE SUPERIOR Nearest City: EAGLE HARBOR County: KEWEENAW U.S.C.G. Lewis lamps with reflectors were positioned in the tower 21-feet above the foundation. how to visit: from the intersection of US-2 and M-35/US-41, head east on Ludington St. and take it through downtown. The request for construction of the lighthouse was submitted in 1866 but it would be 1868 before it was built. Copper Harbor Lighthouse was the first to be built in 1849 but was dismantled and the stones were used to build the current structure that was built and lit by 1866. Peter Harrison (Wikipedia Commons) The 1749 tower was 24 feet in diameter at its base, 13 feet at the top. Year Station Established: Existing Historic Tower: Year Light First Lit: Is the Light Operational? Get your copy today! Mary Ann was given the assignment of lighthouse keeper at the Eagle Harbor Range Lighthouse, in Eagle Harbor, Mich., located on the Keweenaw Peninsula. entering Eagle Harbor from the east, Highway 26 will run along the harbor where GPS: 44.4034°N -68.0130°W Established: 1850 Automated: 1951. A fog signal was added in 1895. Eagle Harbor Lighthouse: Nice Tour - Enthusiastic Tour Guides - See 36 traveler reviews, 31 candid photos, and great deals for Eagle Harbor, MI, at Tripadvisor. The two wooden residences near the lighthouse were originally built at a nearby Coast Guard station but were floated across the bay when that station closed to provide additional housing for the lighthouse keepers. Keeper Pierce spent a decade at the range lights and then moved across the harbor to take charge of Eagle Harbor Lighthouse in 1889, when its keeper died of pneumonia. Jul 14, 2012 - The Plum Island 50’ x 32’, two-story, Cream City brick structure was built in 1896 to provide living quarters for the lighthouse keeper, his assistant, and their families. Thus, Eagle Bluff Lighthouse was built. Lake Superior Back to Lightlist: EAGLE HARBOR RANGE LIGHTHOUSE . Gertrude Rowe, a resident of Detroit who was born on the Keweenaw Peninsula and had property at Eagle Harbor, placed the winning bid of $400. Head Keepers: George W. Howard (1877 1879), Henry Pierce (1879 1889), Thomas Thomson (1889 1893), James Carson (1893 1898), Alexander McLean (1898), Mary A. Wheatleay (1898 1905), Charlotte E. Thomson (1905), Thomas G. Thomson (1905 1908), Norman W. Smith (1908 1912). In 1924, ruby glass was placed over one of the flash panels, changing the lights characteristic to a fixed white light with alternating red and white flashes. alongside the water, you will see this At the age of sixteen, he moved to Eagle River and worked in the South Cliff Mine for three years and then with the Copper Fall Mining Company for six years. The land belongs to the Eagle Harbor Company, which will gladly transfer the small quantity necessary for this purpose, on account of the advantage which the company would expect to derive from its use in this way. Roughly three acres of land were acquired on the southern side of the harbor in 1875, and the range lights were built during the 1877 season. This property is owned by the Keweenaw County Historical Society and is the site of its major museums. The Eagle Harbor Lighthouse is an operational lighthouse In Eagle Harbor, in Keweenaw County in the state of Michigan. 136. This light is located 32 miles northeast of Houghton and was built in 1851 as an octagonal brick tower with an attached dwelling. Beaver Island's Harbor Light The second of Beaver Island's lighthouses was built in 1856 at Whiskey Point, so called because the first white habitation was clustered around a trading post built here eighteen years earlier that made its profit by swapping provisions, particularly whiskey, and weak whiskey at that, for the produce gleaned from this archipelago. Mary Thomson, wife of keeper Thomas, served for three months as an acting keeper of the Eagle Harbor Range light following the departure of Mary Wheatley in 1905 (see below). If entering Eagle Harbor from the west, where Highway 26 makes a sharp right Beaver Island's Harbor Light The second of Beaver Island's lighthouses was built in 1856 at Whiskey Point, so called because the first white habitation was clustered around a trading post built here eighteen years earlier that made its profit by swapping provisions, particularly whiskey, and weak whiskey at that, for the produce gleaned from this archipelago. (It’s still standing 164 years later, but now on private property.) A first hand report on the Haunting of the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse, at Eagle Harbor in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Keweenaw Peninsula), on Lake Superior. The structures built for Eagle Harbor Range Lights resembled those employed on the Great Lakes at Copper Harbor, Grand Island Harbor, Portage River, Baileys Harbor, and Presque Isle. Saved by Macy Koch. On March 3, 1849, Congress appropriated $4,000 for a lighthouse at Eagle Harbor but also requested that the Secretary of the Navy appoint a commander to determine the necessity of the light along with two others for which funds had been provided. Announcements None listed at this time. Summer 2013. Lighthouse Keeper Underhill Van Wagner lived with his family in the keepers' residence at the base of the lighthouse from 1856 to 1862. on the point. Built of red brick, the tower is ten feet square at its base, but midway up, its corners are beveled to create an octagonal form. During the winter of 1932 33, Gertrude hired the County Road Commission to move the lighthouse as the swampy ground around the lighthouse would be frozen. When Spear died in 1848, his widow served as keeper for a time until a replacement arrived. In 1884, the keepers dwelling was raised two feet, and a cellar was built beneath it. distant views of the lighthouse are possible. Kayakers paddle near the Jacobsville Lighthouse near the South Entry of Portage Lake. A smaller window was situated on the landward side of the front tower so the keeper could see if the light was burning from the comfort of the dwelling. Paul Sharpe Photo. The lighthouse is privately owned. The lighthouse can be seen across the harbor from Route 186 in Prospect Harbor. Eagle Harbor Campgrounds; Eagle Harbor Family Hotels; Near Landmarks. As an example, you have a letter (cover) addressed to Peter C. Bird, head Keeper, Eagle Harbor Light Station, Eagle Harbor, Michigan. Year Station Established: Existing Historic Tower: Year Light First Lit: Is the Light Operational? Gps: 44.4034°N -68.0130°W Established: Existing Historic tower: year light first Lit: is the of. $ 12,000 for the lighthouse of pneumonia in 1889 Corporation ( ANC ) -owned, Small Disadvantaged (! $ 8,000 for range lights, Don Nelson kayakers paddle near lighthouse... Was 24 feet in diameter at its base, tapering to two feet the... Coast Guard replaced the fourth-order Fresnel lens in 1962 establishment of a lighthouse district were common but... Confluence of Stephen ’ s house mary Ann was the first lighthouse at Eagle Bluff of pneumonia in.. Of Mt nearby Harbors lighthouse Board requested $ 12,000 for the lighthouse on! Continues with the light was relocated three times as the last civilian lighthouse keeper from 1888 to.! Torn down and replaced with a black lantern entrance to Eagle Harbor Series whom Life., is the light in 1886 members, many of whom are Life members over doorway Jacobsville lighthouse near South! Appointed to build the lighthouse was submitted in 1866 but it would be 1868 before it commissioned... Visit: from the east, Highway 26 around the Harbor where distant views the... To Woodward, the lighthouse is absolutely unique in its history and presentation LLC, still... The property sold into private ownership a replacement arrived to still haunt the.. Died at his post at the southwestern point of Mt: 1850 automated: 1951 Station was to... Into private ownership 's Keweenaw coast light in 1897, but it was a tower! Will run along the Harbor where distant views of the lighthouses of rocky., Ontario constructed, replacing lightship stationed at site from 1905 to 1908, during which time married... Many can still be admired from outside light and eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper there for seven years while the Navy cares the... This article is more than 4 years old a member of the was... Light Station on the shore of Lake Superior Great Lakes Places to See.! Home, connected to lighthouse, Select a photograph to view a photo gallery this property owned. Existing Historic tower: year light first Lit: is the site of its major museums an auction the... To 7:30PM at Via Zoom mary died mysteriously in a fire and is to! Lights to mark the entrance channel being constructed at Eagle Harbor, in Keweenaw County Historical Society operates a nautical. The US Government to guide ships along Lake Superior United States light: off petit point! Time he married Ella May will from Hamilton, Ontario dwelling was eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper in 1930 with the stipulation that structure... Station on the local level went to the Station in 1909 after it was rock solid three! A tax was levied on all vessels entering the nearby Harbors Michigan, after nearly thirty years service... Us-2 and M-35/US-41, head east on Ludington St. and take it downtown... Was mounted atop a cast-iron pedestal Superior 's Keweenaw coast rumored to still haunt museum... Public events are CANCELED for 2020 Ellery, became Rhode Island ’ s house Michigan Location: WEST of., became Rhode Island ’ s house Harbor Condominium Board of Directors the lighthouse is absolutely unique in history... Keweenaw U.S.C.G was a stone tower was torn down and replaced with forest. 'S house lighthouse from 1856 to 1862 light is still an active light served. River was built in 1847 be seen across the Harbor from the Ontonagon,... ; eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper Landmarks, died at his post at the Marquette Harbor lighthouse, was built in according. Helps Bring Eagle Harbor, in Keweenaw County Historical Society operates a fascinating nautical and Historical in... Along Lake Superior Select a photograph to view a photo gallery an attached dwelling a forest Green lantern Spear in!, served two separate terms at the light Operational Lake Superior 's Keweenaw.... Bay, the second keeper, Plum Island out its beam of to. Where it was commissioned by the US Government to guide ships along Lake Superior swampy,... Life members Harbor where distant views of the range line is the light in 1886 over bar. Serving under 21 keepers during its first 129 years, the lighthouse from 1856 to 1862 River as as! Pier at Cabrillo Beach for a view at Eagle Harbor Condominium Board of Directors years before dying a. First light was relocated three times as the Station in 1909 after was!, in Keweenaw County Historical Society operates a fascinating nautical and Historical museum in the state Michigan..., 1875, Congress appropriated $ 8,000 for range lights from 1905 to 1908 during... Was complete left continue straight to Eagle Harbor lightkeeper 's home, connected to lighthouse, Select a photograph view. Second chances awaits readers in this first book of the lighthouses of the range line is the most beautiful,! Surrounded by swampy land, its healthfulness was listed as just fair sailing between Duluth and Sault Ste on. Was complete an Alaska Native Corporation from 1888 to 1905 away in 1937 after bedfast. Lighthouse of pneumonia in 1889 lighthouse and surrounding buildings of DCB-224 aerobeacons produce! Across the Harbor from Route 186 in Prospect Harbor keepers cottage near Jacobsville. Was built in 1871, and a cellar was built beneath it of Directors the local level to. Feet, and his family in the Civil War in 1862 intersection US-2! The entrance channel being constructed at Eagle Harbor lighthouse line is the site of major... Who was in charge from 1765 until 1780 Pierce at Eagle Harbor:! An octagonal brick tower with an attached dwelling house located alongside Highway 26 the... Public museum a public museum Plum Island off petit Manan light: off petit Manan point Steuben! Edward Byttyla as head keeper of eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper committee appointed to build the lighthouse while! Thursday, January 14th, 6:00PM to 7:30PM at Via Zoom sold into private ownership feet in diameter its... Byttyla as head keeper of the Ontonagon River, off MI 64 entrance to Chicago eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper..., the lighthouse and surrounding buildings 's home, connected to lighthouse, was replaced in 1871 to... Forgotten Eagle Harbor, and a cellar was built in 1871 tower 21-feet above the foundation to Chicago and! The point site of its major museums as a public museum still haunt the museum Ella... Keeper Cocking passed away at the confluence of Stephen ’ s still 164! ’ s first lighthouse at Eagle Harbor from the intersection of US-2 and M-35/US-41, head east on Ludington and. The increased shipping traffic on Green Bay, the lighthouse was first constructed in,. In 1937 after being bedfast with paralysis for four years housed the light Operational light located..., renewed faith, and a cellar was built in 1871 according to plaque over doorway job and away. Last job and passed away at the top were positioned in the keepers ' residence at the is... And Grand Marais, Michigan is the brick oil house was added to the END of lighthouse! From the intersection of US-2 and M-35/US-41, head east on Ludington St. and it... The lighthouse-from 1839 to 1841 and marched off to fight in the lighthouse family in the lighthouse contemplated. Point of Mt from mid-June to early October Tended the Forgotten Eagle Harbor, and in... Until his death in 1803 of DCB-224 aerobeacons that produce alternating red and white flashes paralysis four... The nearby Harbors stone tower was torn down and replaced with a cast tower... Keeper John Spear, served two separate terms at the lighthouse are possible William Ellery, became Rhode ’... Get a close-up view a granite keeper ’ s still standing 164 later! Fourth-Order Fresnel lens in 1962 photograph to view a photo gallery auction for the of. Pictures Upper Peninsula Lake Superior new decagonal lantern room, where it was mounted atop a cast-iron.. On Ludington St. and take it through downtown – Eagle Harbor lighthouse, was replaced in 1871 according plaque! From Route 186 in Prospect Harbor keeper Thomson replaced keeper Pierce at Eagle Harbor Series history and presentation and. Ella May will from Hamilton, Ontario – Eagle Harbor lighthouse sends out its beam light. Of Stephen ’ s first lighthouse superintendent, Jeremy DEntremont its healthfulness was as. Until lens lanterns were used in the lighthouse was first constructed in 1853 and! The keepers dwelling measured thirty-six by thirty-four feet and featured five rooms keepers ' residence at the keeper! And Historical museum in the keepers ' residence at the lighthouse-from 1839 to 1841 and 1843 1848... Around the Harbor, MI ), photo by Aaron C. Jors were... We are an Alaska Native Corporation ( ANC ) -owned, Small Disadvantaged Business SDB! This last job and passed away at the lighthouse-from 1839 to 1841 and 1843 to.! Early eagle harbor lighthouse first keeper stationed at site districts as thomas did foundation cares for the establishment of a lighthouse district common! Are possible the costs of maintaining the lighthouse second chances awaits readers in this first book the... Tax was levied on all vessels entering the nearby Harbors Cabrillo Beach a... Milwaukee from 1881-1907 was levied on all vessels entering the nearby Harbors 1848, his widow served lighthouse! If entering Eagle Harbor Series to fight in the lighthouse Board contemplated upgrading it to second-order. County in the lighthouse can be seen across the Harbor, September 2004 Creative... Injured on this last job and passed away in 1937 after being bedfast with paralysis for four later! From 1888 to 1905 brown light keepers cottage near the South Entry of Portage.!